Hobo Pudding

A food and restaurant report.

Name:
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States

My rhyme ain't good just yet,/ My brain and tongue just met,/ And they ain't friends, so far,/ My words don't travel far,/ They tangle in my hair,/ And tend to go nowhere,/ They grow right back inside,/ Right past my brain and eyes. (Regina: Consequence of Sounds)

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Choereg

I just wanted to share a wonderful thing--choereg, a sweetish Armenian bread that is flavored with mahleb (sour cherry pits). I've been jonesing for it lately (I must convince my mom to make me some or share her mahleb with me). The mahleb is available online or in Milwaukee if you live in Wisconsin (ask my mom if you want specifics). Or, you can substitute a blend of juniper berries and anise.

Here's an exerpt from Peter Balakian's book Black Dog of Fate (which features choereg)!
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/balakian-dog.html

Here's a recipe!
http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/84405.asp

If you make some, send it to me. I'm serious. It's awesome.

1 Comments:

Blogger tootsturkeylover said...

It looks yummy. I bet I could find mahleb in one of the grocer shops around the Cities here. If I'm ever ambitious enough to go looking...

My new coffee shop was playing some strange but pretty music tonight. "Do you like it?" the owner asked me. "Yes. What is it?" I asked in turn. "It's Armenian," he said.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home