Hobo Pudding

A food and restaurant report.

Name:
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States

My rhyme ain't good just yet,/ My brain and tongue just met,/ And they ain't friends, so far,/ My words don't travel far,/ They tangle in my hair,/ And tend to go nowhere,/ They grow right back inside,/ Right past my brain and eyes. (Regina: Consequence of Sounds)

Friday, July 14, 2006

HOTPOT!

Tonight I made an Americanized version of Hot Pot (picture a cast iron pot with a wooden lid, sitting on a rack with a flaming can of sterno underneath to keep everything simmering). I used instant wonton soup stock mix for the broth, and marinated shrimp, tuna steak, and beef steak (the steaks were thinly sliced) in a sort of teriyaki glaze. I also sliced up raw broccoli, oyster mushrooms, white mushrooms, green bell pepper, baby onions, baby corn, and Chinese eggplant. I made three dipping sauces: a sweet and sour sauce, a teriyaki sauce, and a curry-yoghurt sauce. So picture a pot of simmering stock, and you plop in a variety of ingredients, let them simmer, fish them out with chopsticks, plop in more delectable bites, and eat the cooked bites with the dipping sauces. The stock flavors the bite size chunks, and when you're done the stock is flavored with all the other ingredients. At the end, you ladle out some stock for a soup course (rice optional). We skipped the rice in the soup because for dessert we had a sweet rice coconut roll (glutinous rice cooked with coconut milk, wrapped in banana leaves). That rounded it out nicely. Now what do I do with the big pot of delicious seafood/chicken/beef/vegetable stock in my fridge?LinkLink

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home